RAFA BENITEZ needs his injury list to ease to help his own push to mix his Newcastle United squad up this month.

The Magpies boss is still waiting to learn the size of the budget he has at his disposal this month, with fears increasing that he will receive nothing.

He is believed to have been under the impression he would have a sizeable chunk of money for the transfer window – although it is understood that was largely dependent on a takeover being agreed.

And with Amanda Staveley and the PCP Capital Partners she represents increasingly unlikely to get something in place before the window shuts, Ashley is reluctant to commit more of his wealth to the Newcastle cause.

One way Benitez could guarantee some cash to invest back into his squad over the next 20 days would be to sell some of the players he already has at his disposal.

Two of the most likely assets to be sold are recovering from injuries; with Chancel Mbemba and Aleksandar Mitrovic still nursing problems.

There are a number of clubs interested in Mitrovic, who has not played since December 9 because of a back problem, and Newcastle are looking for more than £10m for the Serbian striker; ideally they would bring in around £15m.

Mbemba, on the other hand, had been expected to leave last summer but has played more than anyone though in recent months. He would still be moved on, though, if a decent offer came along.

And Benitez, discussing on all the players he has ruled out at this stage, said: “Mitrovic went to Serbia because his partner was having a baby and he’s injured. The last time he said he was running around 80 per cent of his pace, so he has to be very close. He will come back now.

“Then we have had Rob Elliot, Florian Lejeune, Jesus Gamez and Mbemba also not available.

“I would like to see my players available now because if you are in the transfer window and people are talking and talking, the players have to be available, but they have not been available.”

Mitrovic will be montored this week and he could be involved when Swansea travel to St James' Park on Saturday.

Midfielder Jack Colback is still being touted around, with Crystal Palace and a host of Championship clubs keen. However, like the summer, there has not been any takers willing to give Newcastle what they want at this stage.

Despite the delay in further news on the takeover talks, Benitez is continuing to explore the options in the market he could close in on.

Managing director Lee Charnley knows the targets the Spaniard has his mind but is waiting for the go-ahead from Ashley.

Benitez wants to add to his squad in a number of areas and he has a range of goalkeeper targets in mind. It is already clear that he has considered a number of shot-stoppers across Europe and Sparta Prague’s Martin Dubravka is the latest linked.

Further forward Benitez has identified both Liverpool striker Danny Ings and Daniel Sturridge, although only one could arrive on loan for the remainder of the season. There are others in mind but could be more problematic given the number of teams also fighting against relegation.